What have you done?!

I have never been much of a novel read and am definitely guilty of the response "I'll wait for the movie to come out" but now that I have read some of these sci fi novels of which I had previously seen the movie adaptations of, I am starting to understand why all those reading nerds out there are so apprehensive when the movie version of their favorite book is announced. Now that I have read Jurassic Park the movie is completely ruined for me due to the absence of some key thought provoking ideas explained in the book and now that I have read Sandkings I can truly see how monstrously  unjust the movie was to such a great and disturbing story. And once more I now find my self in the shoes of those sad book nerds QQing about their favorite books being ruined on the silver screen when I learned that Ender's Game will be receiving attention in Hollywood. You become protective of these works as if they were your child or best friend about to be taken from you. The images you once created in your head when imagining how the protagonist stood are robbed from you and replaced by the director's image. The little tidbits and tiny details explained on the page are sorted through and plucked away like pedals on a once so beautiful flower. All you can do is stand by helplessly and hope that, even with the changes, the movie will still prove your favorite story to be great.
I'm sorry for ever doubting you book nerds. I will never look at a book movie the same way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment